WHETHER YOU’RE EXCITED ABOUT SWING OR TAP AND WANT TO START DANCING, YOU’VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE! WE HAVE COURSES FOR ADULTS AND CHILDREN.
ARE YOU A COMPLETE BEGINNER AND HAVE NEVER DANCED BEFORE?
- All right, you’re in the right hands with us. We teach step and swing (solo and pairs) from the basics, even to complete beginners.
- We have courses in Prague and most of them are for adults. We also have several tap and swing classes for children.
- Most courses start the second week of September (the beginning of the season). We are also opening a few swing classes (Lindy Hop) in the summer semester (around the beginning of February).
WHY DON’T YOU SEE SWING IN THE SCHEDULE?
- Swing is a music and there are many dances that can be danced to it (Lindy Hop, Balboa, Shag…). “I swing dance” means to dance any of these dances, or even all of them together, because they can be beautifully combined.
- We recommend to start with Lindy Hop (level BEG, i.e. beginner / beginner) and after a year add other styles if necessary.
NEED A DANCE PARTNER FOR A COUPLE DANCE?
- You can enroll in classes of couples dance techniques (Lindy Hop, Balboa, Shag,…) without a partner.
- The lessons rotate so even those who sign up with “their” dance partner will not dance with him/her for the entire lesson.
- In the same way, in the dance halls, everyone dances with everyone.
DO YOU NEED SPECIAL SHOES FOR YOUR LESSONS?
- No, for tap lessons, you can start with shoes without soundholes (i.e. without those metal plates that sound like that).
- Similarly, you don’t need special dance shoes for swing lessons and other techniques. Any indoor, clean footwear will do, ideally with a more slip resistant sole.
DO YOU WANT TO TRY THE LESSONS FIRST?
- There are many opportunities throughout the year to try out lessons with us first.
- Traditionally, free demonstration lessons are held in the week after the end of the season/after the end of lessons (i.e. around mid-June) and then in the week before the start of the new season (early September).
- You can also attend short tasters or demonstration lessons on various topics during the summer / open air dance classes. These take place mostly from May to September.
- During the season there will be a few more opportunities to try a mini swing lesson in the regular dance classes at the Old Lady’s.
- We recommend to follow the EVENTS section here on the website or our Fb profile.
- If you missed the dates of the demonstration lessons, you can pay for a single lesson in SOME courses during the current season. Price list here. Contact us for more info.
WHY LESSONS LAST THE WHOLE SCHOOL YEAR / WHY YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THE WHOLE SEMESTER
- We teach lessons according to a methodology designed by our team and tested by many years of practice.
- Our methodology is designed for each level for a full school year (some even for two years) to ensure optimal learning progression and to make sure that you get the amount of material you need for the next level in a given year.
- In other dance schools, you may have encountered a system of shorter courses made up of different subtopics. While this gives students seemingly more freedom, in our opinion such a system does not provide the necessary continuity for both students and lecturers. Therefore, our methodology is designed for a school year and consists of several subtopics, which are always taught in smaller blocks (3-6 weeks). So in the Lindy Hop course you can expect subtopics like 6-count, 8-count, Flying Charleston,…
- The methodology is therefore for the whole school year, but it is valid for each semester (winter/summer). If paying for the whole semester does not suit you, we also offer the option to pay by individual lessons. However, this is less financially advantageous. By paying for the whole semester you have the option of replacing the missed lessons, i.e. by budgeting the price for the number of lessons of the semester it is always the most financially advantageous option.
TRANSFERRING FROM ANOTHER DANCE SCHOOL?
- The methodology and approach of other schools may vary, so always contact us and we will recommend the level most suitable for you.
Didn’t find the answers to your questions? Write to us! We will be happy to complete the article or reply to you in a private message.
Are you interested in STEP rather than swing? Article on tap dancing in preparation 🙂